The following policies were established for journalists covering the 2017 Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer (SITC) Annual Meeting and exhibitors/public relations professionals wishing to distribute materials related to research presented at the meeting.
In an effort to assist registered members of the press with planning coverage, SITC issued press releases and provided abstract summaries in advance of the Annual Meeting. These releases were embargoed until the date and time listed on the release.
Titles for regular abstracts were available beginning mid-September and titles for late-breaking abstracts were available beginning mid-October on the SITC Annual Meeting website. Once abstract titles were listed on the SITC website, press releases could have been issued with the titles and logistical information.
Abstracts were embargoed until 8 a.m. EST on Nov. 7, 2017. This included content within the original abstract submitted, additional data that was be available on a poster of the abstract and/or any updated and/or new data that will be available in oral presentations at SITC’s Annual Meeting.
PRESS RELEASE INFORMATION
Any planned press releases and media alerts must have been reviewed and approved in advance by SITC Communications staff. Please provide a minimum for two business days for review. Drafts should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For press releases about abstracts aimed at being released:
Before 8 a.m. EST on Nov. 7, 2017
- Press releases could have been issued with only logistical information (abstract title, author, poster number, and presentation date and time) about an abstract/poster/oral presentation.
After 8 a.m. EST on Nov. 7, 2017
- Press releases could have been issued with information about the content within the original abstract submitted, additional data that will be available on a poster of the abstract and/or any updated and/or new data that will be available in oral presentation at SITC’s Annual Meeting.
Journalists deemed in violation of any SITC Communication policies will have their Annual Meeting press privileges revoked.
AUDIO RECORDING, VIDEO RECORDING & PHOTOGRAPHY
Everyone who attended any session, including media and exhibitors/public relations professionals, were strictly prohibited from audio or video recording and photography in all sessions. Photography and video recording were allowed with an approved press registration in the exhibit hall and general conference space outside of the session rooms.
Photography and videography in the poster hall and of specific posters was only allowed if permission is granted by the poster presenter(s).
Credentialed members of the press who were issued a press pass are permitted to use handheld audio recording devices in educational sessions for note taking purposes only.
EXHIBITORS/PUBLIC RELATIONS PROFESSIONALS
Exhibitors and individuals who were representing industry, advertising and marketing or public relations firms were not granted access to the press room or news briefing room at the SITC Annual Meeting.
No exceptions were made to the following policies:
- Materials could not indicate SITC endorsement or use the SITC logo.
- Non-SITC news briefings or other media events were prohibited in meeting areas, including hotels, during the SITC Annual Meeting.
- Under no circumstances was contact information of registered press available.
Individuals, companies, organizations or institutions found in violation of these policies had SITC Annual Meeting access revoked.